Monday, August 07, 2006

Oh my God, I want to date this knife.


The Benchmade Osborne 960

Benchmade makes very nice, very expensive pocketknives. Their Osborne 960 -- designed by someone named Warren Osborne -- is so beautiful it would make any man cheat on his Boker. But like most fine objets d'art, it'll cost you. I haven't found it for less than $120, and more typically in the $140 - $160 range. A buddy of mine has one and holding it was a bit Gollum-like. Oh, my Precious. The Osborne is incredibly well-crafted -- light, solid, thin as a breeze. It comes in silver, green and red with a subtly textured black inlay -- in a photo-finish, I prefer the red. The only drawback is that it lacks an assisted opening feature. But who cares -- you don't knock Mona Lisa because she didn't smile for the picture. This beauty belongs in a museum.
If you can pull yourself away from the picture, check out the specs. This may be the perfect pocket knife, but the quest continues.

1 comment:

poppersmoke said...

You're hilarious, Nick. I had the same Buck model. Traded a crappy windbreaker for it at summer camp in Minnesota. That dopey kid probably outgrew the jacket in a few months. I kept the knife for years.