Tuesday, August 08, 2006

Leatherman makes a great folder


I've owned a Leatherman multi-tool pliers thingy for 5 years and the damned thing is indestructible, so I decided to take a gamble on this knife. I bought it brand new on ebay for $9 +shipping (a steal; it's typically about 3x that). Even at full-price, it would have been money well-spent. The Leatherman c302 with a straight-edged blade (as well as the c303, with half-serration) leans towards function over form. There's nothing fancy about it, which is a-okay. Both the handle and blade are stainless steel so I expect it to hold up under any circumstances -- whether cutting rope, slicing summer sausage, or just a-settin' and a-whittlin'.

I like the look of the vent slits in the handle and I guess that reduces the weight, though not significantly. The grip is nicely form-fitting. The blade arrived sharp (I actually shaved a patch of my leg when I unpackaged it) and seems to be holding its edge. It opens with Blade Launcher™, which I give a B for getting the blade completely open; it almost always requires a wrist-flicking motion to fully lock the blade into place.

My favorite feature is the carabiner that rotates out of the handle; it doubles as a bottle opener — brilliant! It also has a pocket-clip, but at just over 3 oz. it's a bit heavy to hang on one's slacks (I attach the carabiner to a lanyard in my backpack and this little gem is always handy).

When push comes to cut, the Leatherman c302 is ready and able. If you're looking for a great knife at a reasonable price I think you'll be happy with this.

1 comment:

poppersmoke said...

I don't think said previous employer took that policy very seriously. Badway, didn't your boss have an Uzi in his desk drawer?