Friday, September 08, 2006

I think I found your whittlin’ tool, Mr. Gates


This pocketknife is priced at $5,000. It's the second most expensive item at knifeart.com. The same site features a $10,000 masterpiece (that’s right, four zeroes). But I think the one shown here is the bitchinest. These prices only sound absurd. You might have to click the images to savor the details. But they're guaranteed to leave you a little weak in the withers.


Check it out: the oak leaves and acorns on the bolster and along the spine are crafted from bronze. Now brace yourself: the handle is “black fossili mammoth ivory.” Could that be true — mammoth ivory! Just a sec, I’m hyperventilating.

The blade is forged from Turkish Damascus, which is a technique of combining two types of steel for extra awesomeness. Master sword smiths can manipulate the process to produce patterns on the surface of the blade (thanks again, Wikipedia). For a closer look, click the image below and try not to soil yourself.



This is the knife I’d display in my smoking room, if I had one. I might even cut a cigar with it if I wanted to impress a friend.

2 comments:

Dwardisimo Rex said...

That sexy blade is nothing short of breathtaking. I want to press it to my bosom and feel the spirit of the prehistoric, Pleistocene beast corse through my being as I throb and pulse with an ecstasy not known since the Ice Age.

Dwardisimo Rex said...

I don't wear pants, silly.